Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Cricket !!

I remember watching the 1987 world cup as a six-year old. I will ask my folks at home as to whom they wanted to win and then offer my faithful prayers in the Puja room seeking the help of God to make that team win whatsoever. I did not understand the game and all I was worried about was my folks at home being happy!

1992 and 1996 were my best world cups when I followed every match of the tournament. I was still a little too immature that I would make trades with God that he can fail me in History revision exam, and instead make that up with an Indian victory! The Pakistan vs India - quarterfinals at Bangalore is something that I still cherish. Then, I had these amazing friends, with who discussions always revolved around the new boys -Dravid, Ganguly! I was even excited to watch Srinath play for Gloucestershire!!

Then, 1999 and 2003 I was a busy with other things and cricket was sent to the background. I followed the happenings from the next day news and that was it. Guess I grew-up and did not matter really if India won or lost. I never remembered any game until it happened and results were out. If I do get to watch a game, it was fun but that was it – it was no religion that I was so used to following fanatically!

Now, in 2007 thanks to a cricket-buff hubby, I am once again pulled into the magic of cricket, its drama, the fun and feelings. Just as I was thinking that the inclusion of minnows in the world cup diluted the competitiveness of the game, Bangladesh hit me right on and proved a better team than India on a given day in all departments of the game. With the precarious position India is placed now it will be interesting to see if they will make it to the Super8s. The batting looked good against Bermuda yesterday, but you cannot forget the fact it was Bermuda. Even against Bermuda, bowling looked very weak failing consistency and penetration. Fielding was lethargic, compared to those of Ireland, Bangladesh and even Bermuda. With this pack, will this team see through the Sri Lankan line up on Friday? In either case, I hope it turns out into a nail biting contest! Well, not exactly as that will not send us to Barbados. I want a thumping victory, letz see!

Speaking of this, I guess that much of the resentment of Indian fans on the loss to Bangladesh was subdued because the arch rivals Pakis failed to qualify to the Super8s. It was very upsetting to note Pakis’ coach Bob Woolmer pass away after their dismal performance in the world cup especially because we were having a fun time seeing the posters that read – death to Woolmer and death to Inzy by the Pakis’ fans the previous day as they lost to Ireland. It is just a game and it will be good if it is treated so. Anyways, hope his soul rests in peace.

Well, that was a blog that started out nostalgic, got all funny and filled with excitement and finished on a sad note distastefully. That was not how I intended it to be. :)

2 comments:

Ananya S P said...

Preets,
In those days Cricket was considered a sophisticated sport and people played it for sheer joy...When it got commercialized and people started looking at it as another profession, there started the trouble...

Let the best team WIN this world cup...In any case I dont want AUS to win...Its time someone hit their pride and bring their arrogance down...As for me I want that someone to be NZ or WI.

Mrinalya said...

Yeah true !! Now cricket is like some crime drama:(

I want India to go atleast to Super8s, so that my $$ feels like well spent ;)

where is the u? I just called ur home.