Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Recently one of my friends had written a blog on a 'common' name.
Is this common enough when I compare it with the flabbergasting originality of the Americans !

Think about MLK drives in the USA. Atleast one street connecting a interstate to a US Highway in every big town that I have stepped my foot in is a MLK drive. What about Vine St. ? I know in Cincinnati, there are two streets immediately parallel to each other atleast for a good 1 mile - and both are Vine ! Apparently one of them is short Vine ! Did I see Georgia in Eurasia, Was nt it the state south of South Carolina ?

Well, I know there are MG roads all over India - but thats just one example. I know atleast 10 Pine streets just between Oregon, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York. Does Lincoln / Broadway has to exist in every downtown?! What about Morristowns? what about Westchesters ? We lack any imagination and originality in naming our towns. And half the names are borrowed from Europe with the migration. There was once a friend at school and he said on the phone that he was in London..... I just saw him yesterday and he did not mention of any trans-atlantic plans and then I figure he is just 90 miles away in London, OH ! What are the chances you also find a Paris in a drivable radius from Cincinnati ! pretty good. There is one ! Now what about Berlin..... ! wow Berlin is 50 miles SW of Paris only in USA !

London, Paris, Berlin and Amsterdam should be found in half the states of USA !

and we dont stop here.... when I was TAing in my grad school, there were 3 Bills and 3 James - and all the three James had different names from their parents !

If you are talking about Karthik, Sriram and Murali, where do we put the Tom, Dick and Harrys !

5 comments:

madraskaapi said...

of late, you seem to be suffering from apt-title-picking deficiency. :-)

for variety, 'us of a' must look beyond europe. as population of desis are going up, new counties and roads must come up with names like gandhi nagar, kotha hyderabad, m.g.road, anna salai ...

~current

Mrinalya said...

I like the Kotha Hyderabad !! Newport could be a good start..

Manoj Joseph said...

Repeating street names don't bug me. Repeating names across countries don't bug me much.

What bugs me is that there are towns and cities with same names all over the US.

Take Burlington for example. The following are the ones I found.
Burlington, CO
Burlington, CT
Burlington, IA
Burlington, KA
Burlington, MA
Burlington, NC
Burlington, NJ
Burlington, VT
Burlington, WA
Burlington, WI

Not to forget
Burlington, Ontario, Canada

Mrinalya said...

wow that is an awesome find.....
That shd have taken quite some googling....

madraskaapi said...

manoj, you skipped burlington coat factories from your list :-)

btw, which burlington is bcf from ?