Sunday, November 09, 2008

It was one awesome game –NJ Nets vs Detroit Pistons.

Pistons has never been a team that I especially liked, because I don’t think I have the patience to appreciate defense. I need fast breaks, big dunks and brilliant play setting to sustain my attention – and Pistons’ extremely defensive tactics is so boring to the average follower in me.

Here I go to this Nets game almost certain I will end up on the losing side, given the lead up Pistons have had in the season. And the fact that Iverson is playing debut kind of hyped the expectations for Pistons’ fans. By the way, I always hated Iverson- I hated the entire Nuggets team, anyways that’s another story. Billups was only guy that I kind of looked forwarded to in the Pistons team and I am disappointed with the trade.


By the time we reached the stadium, it was almost the end of first quarter – Score read 14-23 Pistons. Well, I did not expect anything better, so I attended to my grumbling tummy first. Pet ka pooja !


First quarter ended at an embarrassing 14-27 at home. My photo pursuits followed suit – the game was simply too one-sided. But I guess we brought some luck with us in the form of Boone. Second quarter was very valuable with Nets scoring 25 against 15 from Pistons. Half ended at a more respectable 5 point deficit to Nets.

In the third period, Devon Harris brought a new level to the game scoring a whooping 19 points against a pretty solid defense. Iverson was quiet with only two field goals. Harris always impressed me from his Mavericks’ days – trading for Kidd wasn’t bad at all for the Nets. Digressing, Kidd was pretty wrong footed in Dallas in the last season. At the end of the third quarter Nets were 72-70.

Even now, I was not too hopeful; I thought the experience of Wallace and the grit of Iverson will see Pistons through. Adding to that Yi Jianlain and VC were going to get fouled out. But Boone’s dunk in the last quarter put Nets in a big lead – 87-79 – from which there was no looking back.

A fine piece of a come-back game, Harris’ career best -38 points, ending a 7-0 losing streak against Pistons – it was a great game for the New Jersey Nets.

Go Nets!!

No comments: